Thursday, August 22, 2013

So, it's not completely done...Classroom Set-Up {PICTURES}

...but, it's pretty close.  I purged a bunch of junk, as I seem to do every single August, but there is never any more room after the purge than before it.  Hmmm?! Let's start with my BLANK SLATE pictures.  Every year when I get to school in August, I think: How on earth am I going to get this ready??!! And, the reason I say that is this:














So, you know how this goes.  After your initial shock upon arrival,  you start to haul things out of your closet, or other storage space.  I'm kinda mad I didn't get a picture of my closet when I arrived.  I always forget over the summer that I have to face that crazy closet when I come back in August.  When I'm packing up at the end of year, and I just want to get out of there, I shove things in in such a crazy, haphazard way, the stacks literally defy gravity.  Well, not all of the stacks, the first half of the closet is neat and tidy and orderly, just the way I want it...then about half way through packing it--I just want to get out of there....that's when the crazy stacks start!  Anyway, I digress.  So once I start unloading the closet and hauling things to the approximate location that they belong, then comes the RED HOT MESS STAGE:



I even have a panorama of the RED HOT MESS


Then, after blood, sweat, tears, a few broken nails, a couple new bruises, and a few choice words.  Some semblance of a classroom starts to take place.  The, OKAY, I THINK I CAN DO THIS stage: 

My calendar wall.
Morning calendar, section 1.
Morning calendar, section 2.
Also on the same wall as all of my calendar goodies, my lunch menu and order wall.  Behind the yellow paper there's a super old chalkboard, it's magnetic.  So the students each have a magnet with their name on that they use to order lunch when they arrive in the morning. 

Storage under the calendar wall.  

Above my calendar wall.

Next: One of my favorite spots in my whole classroom.  My classroom library.  It's got a couple colorful rugs, some comfy chairs, some soft stuffed animal reading buddies, and some nice lighting.  








Computer station.  I have 4 student computers.  
Bucket Fillers, new for me this year. I placed this on an UGLY closet door that I covered with black contact paper.  (Yes, I really did...{SIGH!}) 


My focus wall.
Math focus wall.


Writing focus wall.


My word wall is a bit atypical.  I have limited wall space after my focus wall and calendar wall and smart board wall and then a wall of windows.  So, I came up with a way to 
 place my word wall against the window without covering it.  I used 3 panels of black foam board.
My other favorite space in the classroom.  My teacher table.  I love working with small groups in reading and math, I spend a lot of my day at this table.  


Next to my teacher table: The bookshelf on the bottom holds small group bins for guided reading, and math manipulatives for math groups.  There's also a bunch of progress monitoring materials there too. The top portion is individual student mailboxes. 
This table is used for my writing station.  At the beginning of the year, I also place my Leap Desk there too. (Ignore the pile by the door...I did say I purged a bunch, right?)


My listening station.  I used a small white bookcase and added 3M hooks to hold the headphones.  


My desk.  I NEVER sit there.  I take attendance and check my email there, but I'm usually standing.  Who has time to sit in first grade?! ☺
Bookshelf behind my desk.  It holds picture books that I don't want kiddo's hands on, and a few cute stuffed animals that I occasionally allow students to read to.  
This is the least amount of "stuff" I will bring home all year long.  I always have multiple bags.  It's crazy!  A colleague of mine says: "Teachers, the original bag ladies!".  I agree.   

I hope you enjoyed the pics of my classroom.  I also took some videos.  (This is new for me! LOL) This was inspired by Jennifer White at First Grade Blue Skies.  I adore everything she does.  She has a video of her super sweet, adorable classroom on her blog.  You really have to check it out.  So, in Jennifer's video, you'll hear her sweet, southern accent.  In my video, you'll hear whatever music I had on my laptop that I could add to the video.  I was definitely not going to narrate with my crazy blended accent.  (Somewhere between Minnesota nice and New York angry! LOL  {Born and raised in Minnesota, but have lived in New York for 9 years.})  So, if you choose to watch my videos, you'll get to hear some Lumineers and some Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler (strange combo, I know...it's what I had on my laptop at the moment!).
The vids are in my Google Drive:  


























2 comments:

  1. Wow, did you get all that done in one day? Your room looks so big and FUN! You have done a great job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi,
      No, not one day. I worked in the room for 5 days. I put in about 4 or 5 hours a day. So a total of 20-25 hours. I still have some things to hang up in there before my set-up is actually done. ☺
      Tanya

      Delete