Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY magnetic tens frame...deets


Here is a completed DIY magnetic tens frame, all of the deets are found below. ☺ 



In yesterdays post, I told you about finding all the supplies I needed to make my own magnetic tens frames at Walmart.  If you didn't catch that post, you can check it out {HERE}. 

I started with the magnetic white board, I removed the little clip -on dry erase marker. (If you keep the dry erase marker nearby, you can easily erase any *mistakes* you may make with your permanent marker ☺).  


Since the magnets I got at Walmart are 1" in diameter, I wanted the boxes of my tens frame to be 1 1/4" squares so that I could outline in a heavy black marker and still have space for the magnets.  You could use any variety of magnets you like, so the size you choose for your magnets will determine the size of your tens frame boxes.  Here is a blank tens frame pdf with 1 1/4"squares.  {Tens Frame PDF}.

I wanted my tens frames to be (relatively) centered on my whiteboard, so I did a little math and used a little trial and error.  A few measurements I used: One whole tens frame measured 2 1/2" by 6 1/4", the board opening measures 7 1/2" by 10".  To center the tens frames, I turned the board "landscape" and I measured in from the left 1 7/8" and down from the top 1/2" to 5/8" and made my first mark there.  Then I measured in from my first mark 1 1/4" to the right, making marks for each box in that manner.  Once you place your first row of boxes on the whiteboard, (so long as you've measured to assure you're centered) the rest of the tens frame is a piece of cake.  I used a fine point sharpie to make all of my dots and measurement marks, then I also drew all of the lines using a straight edge ruler and my fine point sharpie. Finally, I used my nice fat, chisel tip sharpie and traced the lines to make them big and bold.  
(one tip, which most of you may already know, if you need to erase permanent marker on a dry erase whiteboard, simply write over it with a dry erase marker, allow it to dry, and it will erase easily. ☺ I used that tip for a few stray marks on my board.  Like I said I used math/measurement and trial and error LOL).  


Something else to think about: I used my whiteboards to create the double tens frames.  This year's incoming first graders had a lot of practice in kindergarten with single tens frames, so I want to review and then jump right in to numbers greater than 10.   You could modify this idea to create a single tens frame if you needed to. 

Pinterest is loaded with tens frame activities.  TpT also has a plethora to choose from. Check out this post for a great video using tens frames {HERE}. 


I hope you're able to use this little bit of info and get your DIY on too! ☺


1 comment:

  1. They look great...I must say all the Math involved in making them might just be too much while I'm still on holidays though!!!! Closer to B2S and I will tackle them! Thanks for the deets.

    ReplyDelete