Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Teacher evaluations

I work hard, I teach every moment of my day.  I believe I am to be held accountable for my students' success.  I also know that my students come to my classroom each day with gaps I have no control over: sleeping in the shelter with a baby brother who kept them awake all night; spending the night on a couch of a relative or family friend while the parents worked the overnight shift; staying awake all night because the heat in the apartment didn't work.  How fair is the assessment of a student who lives life like this? How fair is the evaluation of a teacher who teaches students who live like this?  This gets under my skin.  I want the best for my students, and I believe each and every one of them is capable of greatness, but this gets under my skin!


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/education/principals-protest-increased-use-of-test-scores-to-evaluate-educators.html

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!!

    -Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I teach a group of students who are identified as "low." If you base my evaluation on if they pass the state test, then I'm a terrible educator. Also, if they do things like this, then will we view a PE teacher as bad if the students are overweight or can't run a mile in the allotted time? No, because we all know those are things PE teachers can't control, just like our student's home lives are things we can't control. It will cause teachers to not want to teach the neediest students for fear of being labeled a "poor teacher".

    Okay, enough of my soapbox!

    Living A Wonderful Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all feel that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun with "our" class today!
    :) Thanks so much for your comment!!!
    Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog post about teaching my firsties to blog! I have been a little nervous (and excited) about this adventure. I am keeping track of what I do in a table and will send it to you when I am done if you would like.
    Lori
    http://bee-the-change.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete