Tuesday, May 17, 2011

School Budget Voting Day

Here in New York State, today is school budget voting day.  In most school districts, even if budgets pass, there will be cuts to important programs.  In my school district, a small inner-city, full day kindergarten is being cut.  Which will mean half-day kindergarten for next year's kindergarteners.  This is like taking 10 giant steps backward.  I know there are other districts facing unfavorable changes next year as well.  But kindergarten?  This is just sad!


8 comments:

  1. AMEN SISTER!!!! Your button says it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have to ask - WHERE did you get your button? I love it! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it from the Facebook page for the "Pink Hearts, Not Pink Slips" campaign supported by the AFT (American Federation of Teachers). I LOVE IT TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The actual, non-digital version is apparently available from a company called zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/those+who+can+teach+gifts

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad! I teach full day kindergarten...I can't imagine having to fit it all into a half day!

    Ali

    What happens in kindergarten... lasts a lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yea!!!! I'm glad I stopped by to grab your button (for my collection...hopefully postin' about it soon). I see most of the blogs I look at in Google Reader and I saw this post of yours and I've been sharing about it to numerous teachers and friends!!! Thanks for sharing it, I couldn't remember who had posted it. Thanks, Nancy
    The Apple Basket Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad!! Kindergarten def should be a full day program in my opinion. Tough times in my neck of the woods too. Our district just gave the pink slip to 500 employees this last Thursday...
    ( Love the button as well- saw it posted on fb a week or so ago)
    Will be keeping you in my thoughts!
    Beth
    http://primaryconnections-beth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete